As we’ve discussed at past meetups, the NEAR Act (Neighborhood Engagement Achieves Results) is comprehensive and innovative legislation that will help to move the District away from its current failed approach of policing and incarceration. DC4D and many others advocated strongly before the DC Council for full funding of the NEAR Act as part of the FY 2018 budget, and celebrated the inclusion of funds to begin implementation as a key victory in this budget cycle.
But the fight isn’t over yet!
Our partners at Stop Police Terror Project DC are inviting all DC4Ders to take part in a training that will equip you with the knowledge and skills to hold our DC elected officials to their word on fully implementing the NEAR Act. By attending one of these trainings, you can help create a corps of “NEAR Act Ambassadors” who show up at DC Council hearings, community events, ANC meetings, candidate fundraisers, and campaign events. In doing so, we have an opportunity to hold DC Council accountable and to begin the process of protecting the most vulnerable neighborhoods in our city from further violence with a better approach.
Here are the full details of upcoming trainings (Ward specific details will be included, but feel free to attend any training that fits your schedule!):
- Wards 7&8 (Wednesday, November 8) – We Act Radio (1918 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., SE)
- 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- This is the same night as our November meetup, but if you can’t make it to the African American Civil War Museum by 7 for our meeting, you might as well join this one 🙂
- Wards 1&4 (Thursday, November 9) – Petworth Library (4200 Kansas Ave., NW)
- 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Wards 2&3 (Tuesday, November 14) – Friends Meeting of Washington (2111 Florida Ave., NW)
- Wards 5&6 (Thursday, November 16) – Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ (5301 North Capitol St., NE)
We know we can count on the DC4D community to continue fighting to make the NEAR Act a reality!